A Travellerspoint blog


On to Albany

Cape Le Grand to Albany via Stirling Ranges - 594 kms

We d got into a routine of getting up at about 5am which is not a bad thing as this meant we could beat the queues at the showers before the larger tour groups got up. We weren't the only early risers though as at least 5 kangaroos were hopping around all the campervans and tents. No doubt they were looking for a morning snack, but for a moment we wondered whether Kanga had rallied the troops to take vengeance for eating Uncle John! So Dan thought it would be best to try to blend in!


Before we left we took one last look at Lucky Bay and managed to spot a kangaroo on the beach!


We enjoyed the drive out of the national park taking in all the views. You definitely could spend a few days here going on all the walks and checking out the different bays, it was a shame we had to move on.


Our next stop would be the Stirling Ranges but before that we wanted to stop off at Lake Hellier, a pink lake that I had read was just outside of Esperance.

We were expecting something that looked like this...


But instead we found this...


Turns out I had got my info wrong and that Pink Lake outside of Esperance was NOT the same as Lake Hellier (which is actually on an island off the south coast) Whoops! After asking some locals in the town of Pink Lake, we found out that Pink Lake had not been pink for over 20 years! So I really think they need to rename this place and all the shops too which are all called Pink Lake too!

We laughed off the lake fail and headed on to the Stirling Ranges. We still couldn't get over how small some of the 'towns' were that we passed through, this is Ongerup, which according to google has just over 100 people living here.


As we were driving a long I noticed an odd shape coming out of the heat haze further up the road. At first I thought it might have been a man standing at the side of the road, and as we got closer we thought it might be a massive crow but the legs were too big. It was actually an enormous eagle standing on top of a dead kangaroo! As we got closer it spread its wings and took off and I swear it could have taken the kangaroo with it if it wanted to it was that big!

Soon the Stirling Ranges came into view, after seeing flat land for the last couple of days it was a novelty to have such a large break on the horizon. The Aboriginal name for them is Koi Kyenuunu-ruff which means 'mist moving around the mountains'. These ranges run for 65km and are home to the highest peak in southern Australia, Bluff Knoll (1095m) which Dan was keen to hike to the top of.


We had planned to do this hike and stay overnight at one of the campsites. However we hadn't factored in that we would be arriving at the hottest part of the day. Not the ideal time to start a 4 hour hike so with no cooling mist in sight we sought the shelter of some trees to cook up some lunch and decide our next move.


This is when the flies found us, and we decided that it would probably be best to do a scenic drive through the ranges and move on rather than contend with the flies and the heat. It was really beautiful and we got to see a Rosenbergs Goana!


We got to Albany around 3pm a quaint and picturesque seaside town (although I think this is actually referred to as a port city). It was the first settlement in Western Australia, so by Australian standards you find some old buildings here. It reminded us a bit of home.


In fact walking down York Street with its town hall and clock tower it reminded me a bit of Guildford, and it had a huge tree with Xmas decorations on which was strange for us as it felt so far from Christmas.


Down by the port there is a replica of The Brig Amity, which was a New South Wales Government Supply Ship. Originally built in Canada this vessel is significant because carried 58 people from Sydney to become the first settlers in Western Australia in 1826.


Having changed our plans we needed to find somewhere to camp in the van overnight. We headed to the tourist information centre and soon had a map with several circled options. We decided to head for Panorama caravan park which was a gorgeous set up on the opposite side of the harbour from the main town where we were met by the welcoming Neil and several of the residents friendly dogs. We were directed to the spot that we could park up at which was right on the water front with a small jetty jutting out. Just lovely.

Before heading back into town for some dinner we decided to make the most of the remaining sunlight and headed along the coast to check out some of this areas famed rugged coastline by visiting The Gap and The Natural Bridge. Apparently parts of this ancient coastline can still be matched up to the coasts of Antarctica!


Given that the bridge could potentially collapse at any moment into the crashing waves below I was amazed by the amount of people clambering along and jumping around on it.


The Gap was impressive and has been carved into the coastline by the Southern Ocean creating sheer cliff faces with booming waves exploding on its base. When the weather is really rough they can hit it with so much force that the water comes up over the top and the spray reaches all the way to the car park!


This is the view over the nearby Cable Beach


Getting hungry we headed back to town for some food. After mainly eating budget noodles for the last couple of days we were keen to treat ourselves to a curry and having spotted one advertised on the map headed in that direction. It was dead, the only life in the place was the blinking 'open' light outside which wasn't as inviting as I guess it was intended so we decided to head back towards the harbour. It wasn't a wasted trip as we were entertained by stumbling on the famous Dog Rock. Australians say what they see so this literally is a rock that is meant to look like a dogs head... a collar had even been added to enhance the effect and someone had built their vets practice over the road. Can't get better free advertising than this right?


We opted for the Rustlers Steak House for dinner and had an awesome meal. It seemed we were lucky to get a table as this was a very popular place and I can see why as the 'horns n prawns' aka 'surf n turf' were Yum!


Posted by doyledan 00:01 Archived in Australia Comments (1)

Norseman to Esperance and Cape Le Grand National Park

Waking up early was part of our routine by this point and so as the sun was rising we got ourselves washed and cooked up some noodles and rearranged the van for the trip down to Esperance. The arid scenery around the campsite was quite nice to look at and with the blue skies above we knew we would be in for a good day.


Before leaving Norseman we thought we should have a look around the town however because it was quite early nothing was open so we couldn't get our certificate for crossing the Nullarbor from the tourist centre which was a bit of a bummer so instead we decided to take the drive up to Beacon Hill and hope things would open when we got back.


As we left the main street of the town we saw the statue of a horse which tells the story of how the town of Norseman came to be named. Back in 1894 a gentleman called Laurie Sinclair was riding with his brother and 4 other men across Australia and happened to stop in this region. By pure chance the horse he was riding named 'Norseman' was pawing the ground and revealed a very rich specimen of GOLD!. The knowledge of this area being a source for gold spread and so the town developed off the back of many settlers riding hard to seek out a golden opportunity (excuse the pun).

Mr Sinclair originally came from the Shetland Islands off Scotland and was proud to call himself a 'Norsemen' and so named his horse after the clan Norseman and subsequently named the new goldfield.


Making our way up to Beacon Hill we saw a walking trail at the top and so decided to enjoy a morning stroll around the elevated area. It boasted a spectacular view 360 degrees around as the vast landscape we had come so accustomed too was laid out in front of us.


Along the trail there were some scenery/wildlife and nature information boards and we found out our 'broccoli tree' was actually named Dundas Blackbutt which was is part of Eucalyptus family.


We also we given a explanation of the visible mining pit called 'Hit and Miss'. Mining for Gold was big business but even the Pro's can get it wrong and so this pit was dug and produced 277,000 cubic metres of waste rock.


As we went further round the short trail we did manage to see the working mine that has been producing gold which as helped Norsemen become a place worth settling near.


However, the historical facts about early settlers made you realize out here in the bush must have been hard going despite the prospect of gold, with water and building materials in scarce supply. The ingenuity of some of settlers lead to them to use bully beef tin cans to make homes for themselves. It didn't look much but at the time it would be considered a luxury. You could also see that they knew how to make the most of things and enjoyed participating in sport and going for picnics in spring with the blooming wildflowers, so it wasn't all bad.


This is the real Norseman!


The town of Norsemen didn't appear to be a hotspot for tourism it has to be said, its really a necessary stop on the long drive but we did enjoy being able to see the beautiful scenery and learn a little bit about the history of the mining boom which shaped this whole country.

Leaving Beacon Hill we passed a friendly man who was the first person we had seen all morning and really the only person we had seen in Norseman! I asked him the time which he happyily gave me along with a near toothless grin. That and his beard gave the impression that he had just stepped out of the photos of the first miners we has been looking at and added to the feeling that this place is a bit backward if you know what mean? Its not fair to stereotype but what didn't help was that someone had spray painted 'Beware of the Gard dog', on the side of their house and the missing letter wasn't due to the lack of space on the wall!

Nothing was open when we got back to town and we didn't want to wait another hour until they were so we were happy to move on to the coast, not before saying goodbye to these guys.


Driving to Esperance would only take 2 hours which was a dip in the ocean compared to what we had done the day before. On route we stumbled across a number of salt lakes, a very long train and the scenery began to change to farm lands with tall trees.


Once in Esperance ours plans were to get supplies and get as quickly to Cape Le Grand national park so we could enjoy some beach time. It was the largest town we had been to since we had left Melbourne! After grabbing some 'Kanga Bangas' (Kangeroo sausages) for hotdogs, some booze and a failed attempt to access the internet at McDonalds, we drove east out of town to the park. Enroute we encountered our first 'living' kangeroo out on the plains.


Getting to Cape Le Grand was simple and as we pulled up to the entrance we were met with magnificent scenery, so much so I remarked to the ranger lady who was taking the fees that she had 'the best seat in the house' from her window looking out over the bays and Frenchmans Peak. With only 12 dollars to pay to get in we were more than happy to help the cause to keep this area maintained.


Now this is hard to describe and I hope the pictures do it justice but as we made our way though the park admiring the hills and wildflowers that spread across the whole park we turned off to Lucky Bay and could not believe our eyes when this appeared over the horizon.

Just flawless!


We parked up in the camping area for vans and dashed down to the beach. With Sarah sporting her Madame Brussels parasol and me with my guitar we strolled the beach taking in the views, not quite believing how vibrant the colours were around us.


The sand was so white and made a crunch like sound that you would get with snow. The only downside was that the wind was quite intense and so it wasn't ideal for sunbathing but I did have a dip in the ocean, I mean when would I get another chance!

After beach time, it was lunch time and we cooked our Kanga Bangas in the frying pan and with beers in hand sat on the park bench looking at the views .


Later we had visitors, one was the park ranger who took the fees for camping, he was an older gentlemen from the UK who much like many people we had met had come over to Australia many years ago and decided to stay. I mean with this location as your office who could blame him. The other visitors were the resident Kangeroo with a little Joey kicking around. Of course Sarah went snap doolally!


Before the sun went down we got our got our extra beach time and decided to stroll all the way to the other end of the bay and back, which was great.


Sarah almost shot up in the air like Mary Poppins from the wind.


Wherever you looked there was an opportunity for a awesome photo!


Getting back to camp we set up for the night with Kanga bangas on the menu again dinner. I was half way through cooking them, using my make shift wind break to stop the flames going out, when we spotted that the kangaroo and her joey were back and had come up behind us! Lets hope we weren't cooking their Uncle John.


We definitely felt a bit guilty eating our dinner, with these little faces looking at us!


As we moved away from the van to sit in the last bit of evening sunshine, Kanga moved over to it and started to lick the dead bugs off the front! There were a lot of them!


As the night sky took over Sarah noticed a light falling in the sky which at first looked like a star, but it was falling quite dramatically, so it couldn't of been a satellite , but it didn't look like a shooting star either...UFO? She had hit her head on the door of the boot earlier and after admitting stopping to talk to some kangaroos in the dark which on closer inspection turned out to be wooden posts I think maybe it had been a long day and she needed a good cup of tea.


Stay tuned for more tales.


Posted by doyledan 06:49 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Crossing the Nullarbor Plain

Ceduna to Norseman - 1211kms in one day!

Yep that's 1211kms in one day folks!

This long drive would include crossing the arid expanse of the Nullarbor Plain, the worlds largest and flattest piece of limestone. Covering 200,000 square kilometres (which is nearly the same size as the state of Victoria). This area was nicknamed the Treeless Plain and it doesn't take a genius to work out why. I guess the 'treeless plain' didn't have the right ring to it it was decided to use the Latin nullus arbor which means 'no trees' instead.


It also has another nickname of the 'Nullar-boring' as there is not much to see along the way but we were willing to take on the gauntlet that had been thrown down to anyone who wants to drive from one side of Australia to another, and had a great time in the process. Not so Nullar-boring to us :) but then again coming from somewhere like to UK distances like this are a novelty and we were only planning on doing this once.

To complete this monumental leg of our journey it would take at least 12 hours, but fortunately for us we had time on our side...literally...as we would be crossing through 2 timezone changes gaining time as we went (or going back in time) so it was probably closers to 15 hours in total! Now this shouldn't feel like such a weird thing as most of us casually hop on a plane into another timezone without really thinking about it, but to drive through 2 in one day was a bit strange!

But first we had to get there as from Ceduna it was still a further 300km to the start of the Nullarbor. After spending a night looking at the stars through our 'moon window ' and trying to count the bats that had come out to feed swooping overhead, we were up early to make sure we were stocked up on fuel, water etc... Cleaning the windows would be a must at each stop so we could see, wiping away the dust and scraping off the thousands of splattered bugs!


Then we hit the road...


the very loooooong road...


It was crazy to think that we didn't need to make a turn for over 1000kms!!


We passed through the small town of Penong, where everyone clearly had had a good time on the weekend.


This would be one of the 'larger' settlements we would see in a while as most other stops along the way would literally be a roadhouse with possibly a convenience store too.


First thing in the morning is the busiest time and we shared the road with plenty of road trains and other camper vans and cars doing the journey. For somewhere as remote as this it had a surprising communal feel as all drivers raise a hand up to acknowledge each other as they drive past, particularly the other camper vans. Kind of a mini high five of 'yeah you're doing this too!'


Along the road we would be crossing the Dog Fence, which is the longest fence in the world at over 5600kms and spanning 3 states (according to a doco we watched last night it is 3 times as long as the Great Wall of China!). The purpose of this fence is to stop dingos from crossing into the southeast pastoral lands to protect the livestock there. The dingo 'problem' is a controversial one and there are mixed views on how to cohabit in these areas. Some farmers see them as pests that should all be killed whereas others see the benefit of having a top predator in Australia to help deal with all the feral cats, foxes and rabbits which are destroying the native wildlife.

Some more great road signs!


And finally the sign we had been waiting for, we had made it to the eastern side of the Nullabor!


Now we just had to cross it!


However first we wanted to take in the GReat Australian Bight so took the 12km detour off the highway to the coast. This area is famous for its whale look out points where Southern Right Whales can be spotted.Unfortunately for us we were out of season (May to September) but the views from the boardwalks of the Bunda Cliffs were simply stunning! This is where the limestone of the Nullabor meets the water!


To the east you could see where the sandunes come down to the ocean!


I was so distracted by the gorgeous views that I managed to put my hand in a huge pile of bird poo! Yuk! Needless to say this meant we had to head back to find somewhere to clean up and then recover from the incident with a connoisseur ice cream!


And I spotted a little lizard, happy days.


This is a skull of a juvenile humpback whale which washed up on a beach in 2009. If this is a head of a juvenile can you imagine how big an adult would be!


We couldn't hang around for long as we had so much ground to cover so it was back in the van onto the Eyre Highway which hugs the southern coast and would provide us which some more great views along the way but most of the time we would be seeing scrub land like this.


We would also keep an eye out for the signs for the Nullabor Links Golf course, where there is a hole at each 'town' along the way with names like Dingo Den. to help pass the time and give a break from the monotony of driving.

Its such a random place.


As the day went on the time between spotting other vehicles increased so for long stretches it would just be us and the road for company. It was also getting hotter so when vehicles did appear it was through a mystical heat haze on the horizon.


We got to the WA border at lunchtime and pulled over to cook up some noodles to keep our energy up as well as say high to the big kangaroo Rooey!


We were over half way to Perth...


But still a very long way from home!


Petrol prices were getting more and more expensive as we got more remote. We had taken the tactic of keeping our tank topped up regularly which worked a treat as you wouldn't want o be forking out for a full tank here!


All vehicles get stopped at this border crossing and quarantine check to make sure you are not taking any fruit and veggies that might spread the flies, also honey was something we were specifically asked about. After a good chat with the border inspector who was from the UK but came here several decades ago and has no intention of going back, we crossed into Western Australia!

We had forgotten to check the time when we crossed the border so pulled into Eucla to check. In our minds it was 2.30pm so it took a while to get our heads round the fact that it was now 12.15pm! Dan didn't believe me when I got back in the van and told him!


This was great though as we now had the whole afternoon ahead of us...and a lot more road...


And we were now on the look out for emus as well as kangaroos and camels!


There was an almost instant difference in the amount of road kill once we crossed the border into WA and we quickly lost count of all the dead kangaroos lying on the side of the road. I decided not to take any photos of these, the size and shape gave a disturbing resemblance to people on the side of the road. We didn't see any live kangaroos on this part of the journey (or emus, camels or wombats) but as the afternoon went on we did see several bobtails playing chicken trying to cross the road, a couple of snakes (although sometimes what you think is a snake is just a bit of ripped up tyre or a twisted branch on the side of the road), other lizards, and of course the opportunist crows.

We would also need to keep an eye out for planes land on the highway as this is used as an emergency landing strip! We definitely in the middle of nowhere, miles away from help if anything went wrong and images of the flying doctors came to mind as we passed these signs and saw the markings appear on the road to guide the planes.


The scenary was changing and we were now surrounded by what we would fondly nickname 'Broccoli trees'!


Approx 190km west from the WA boarder we had the jaw dropping experience of the looking out over the Roe Plains from the Madura Pass. I really need to find some other descriptive words other than vast but the landscape just stretched on and on. This area was home to the Mandura station which was used to breed horses for the British Army in India!


The photos don't do it justice but It was great to look out over some of the road we had travelled along, but we couldn't stop for long as we still had about 500kms to go!!

We stopped off for some more fuel which was now more than 2 dollars per litre! Wowzers!


We gained some more time crossing the timezone before Caiguna and I took the wheel for the 90 Mile Straight, Australia's longest straight section of road, and we were flying!


Having gone through our CDs several times it was getting a bit hard to keep ourselves entertained until we spotted the clouds cheering us on to keep going...


They weren't lying, this road was really straight!


I can only image that cyclists who take on this journey are insane and we passed one guy attempting it. We had both read 'The Man who Cycled the World' that follows Mark Beaumonts extraordinary achievement which includes him cycling across the Nullabor. This was the most difficult part of his trip. Even in the van we could feel the strong cross winds, the montrous force of road trains storming by and the relentless sun beaming in through the windows so to tackle this on a bike would be quite vulnerable. The sun was going down so we had no idea where this guy would stay the night and could only guess he would be camping on the side of the road.

We had an incredible colour show enhanced by the clouds as the sun went down, from moody blues and indigos to warm pinks and oranges. We finally got to Norseman at 7pm, an hour later than planned and to our dismay the office at the caravan park was closed. Fortunately they heard me knocking and let us in for the night. Tired and hungry we set up for the night and in our tiredness decided to cook out of the back of the van instead of going to the camp kitchen. This resulted in us being bombarded by mosquitoes and flies who were attracted by our head torches and had suicidal traits as they dive bombed into the frying pan as we cooked some eggs.

Needless to say we ended up sharing the van with some little biters that night, despite Dans best efforts to get rid of them all. I'm sure the other campers thought they were next to a mad man :)


Posted by doyledan 05:33 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Port Lincoln to Ceduna

This was it, this morning we would be swimming with sea lions and boy were we excited!

Having seen footage online of how inquisitive they are and the close encounters you could have we couldn't wait to get in the water to interact with the puppy dogs of the sea... I mean look at this guy!


Sea lion swims are one of the big three underwater encounters that Port Lincoln is famous for, the others are cage diving with Great White Sharks and swimming with Tuna.

We had booked our adventure with Calypso Star charters and as we wouldn't be leaving until 11am we were able to have a bit of a lie in, breakfast over looking the bay as well as finding a chemist for some seasickness tablets (just in case!).


As we entered the marina Dan noticed he had several missed calls from an unknown number. Unfortunately it was from the tour company to let us know our trip had been cancelled as it was too choppy. You can imagine our disappointment! We were offered to go swimming with tuna in the afternoon as an alternative but opted for the full refund instead as we still needed to make it to Ceduna. In hindsight it probably was a bit ambitious to fit in the sea lion swim and get to Ceduna in the same day... You ve got to look for that silver lining somewhere.


So with the weather now reflecting our mood we left rainy Port Lincoln behind and headed towards Coffin Bay. As you can see from this pic it was all a bit dreary.


And I'm not sure what this is but it was huge and looked like it could give you a nasty sting!


Leaving the rain and giant insects behind we chased the sunshine to get some miles out of the way.



Having looked at some of the maps we had picked up along the way we decided to break for lunch at Locks Well beach near Elliston, it was great to see the ocean materialise before us as we approached the coast.


It was a stunning spot for some lunch with some amazing views along the coast.


We were intrigued to see people climbing up and down nearly 300 steps (I counted them on the way back up!) down to the beach with rods and buckets so we had to go take a look.


As it turns out that this area is great for surf fishing and you could catch salmon straight off the beach! How cool is that! They definitely would be having a better dinner than us.


Back on the road again we found ourselves in a strange landscape where it was hard to tell where the cornfields ended and the coastal sandunes began!


Along the way we would spot the odd farm building but most of the time it was only a random mailbox in the middle of nowhere that would indicate that anyone was living out here and even then it wasn't always clear what path would lead you there, or if there was one!


We stopped off to check out Murphy's Hay Stacks, a group of Inselbergs, which in German means Island Mountains.


We were blown away, not by the 'haystacks' but by the sheer scale of this country.


The land stretches as far as you can see without a single building to break up the skyline. It is one of the few places where you really get to experience land that is as big as the sky but at the same time the sky towers above you in a way that neither of us has ever experienced.


And all the different colours are delicious!

We hadn't been on the road for long when we had our first near miss as we noticed a Bobtail crossing the road in front of us. We would soon learn that this mid afternoon time was very popular for these guys to be crossing the road as we had to dodge several others a couple of which didn't then go on to survive the other side of the road :(


We decided to stop off for coffee in Streaky Bay but nearly everywhere was shut apart from the drive through liquor store! A concept that I still can't quite get my head around!


The local roadhouse was open though so we refuelled the van and ourselves and checked out this sleepy towns claim to fame a replica of the largest White Pointer (Great White) shark to be caught with a rod and reel!


In 1990 it took a local man 5 hours to pull in all 1520kgs of this shark, breaking the world record!


We completed the 382km to Ceduna around 7pm and we stayed out of the main town near the airport as other campsites needed us to arrive earlier. As soon as the sun went down we hit the sack as we would need to start early the next day to take on the mighty Nullabor!


Posted by doyledan 03:28 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Wallaroo to Port Lincoln

Waking up in the van for the first time wasn't too bad even though it was quite early as we had to be at the port for 7.30am. We had planned the trip to Wallaroo the day before so that we would not have a really early start to catch the Sea Ferry across the Spencer Gulf otherwise we would have needed to get up at 5am. Getting the car ready was a sinch as we knew how to arrange it all and we were off ready to find the port for the 8am ferry.


The campsite was only 5 mins away and so we got there a little too early so we had some time to chill and take in the morning sun.


The ferry would take as across the Spencer Gulf over to Lucky Bay on the east coast of the the Eyre Peninsula. The ferry wasn't busy at all, aside from about 8 or 10 other people so we had a choice of seating and even a nice spot for a quick nap . This was a far cry from the last ferry we took in Indonesia which was full to the brim and not at all comfortable. After chilling out below deck we headed up top to take in the sea breeze and enjoy the sunshine. It was about 2 hours before we saw our destination which was a small port with barely any inhabitants.


Back on the road we started the the 2 hour trip to Port Lincoln. On our way out of Lucky Bay we immediately started to see a new landscape filled with wheat fields and the odd tree with shoes attached bizarrely. (We missed a photo opp)


On the way down to Port Lincoln we stopped at Tumby Bay to see what was on offer and find a place to have our lunch. It was a quaint little coastal town with not much going on. If not for a strong winds we would have gladly relaxed on the beach. By the coast there was charming rotunda that had in the past been built for the local brass band, today it is an art gallery and has a nice mural painted on the outside showing the life of the early settlers to this village. Sarah got in touch with her inner child on the swings.


Picking up some tourist guides we visited one of the towns attractions the Chairmans Chair, which commemorates 100 years of the district council of Tumby Bay


There was also a mangrove walk you could do but somehow we couldn't find it! Instead we decided to stop off at the scenic lookout point where there was a platform from where you could see views over the town and bay as well as see the collection of Islands named Sir Joseph Banks.




Around the bay on our side there was a collection of bird life. In the picnic area where we stopped for lunch there were many of the 'Flamin Galah's' making a racquet, and also a rather large Seagull who ruled the roost when it came to picking up crumbs!


You wouldn't mess with this guy!


Our simple lunch of noodles and tuna proved effective and with full bellies we made our way to Port Lincoln. On route we saw what looked like a greek temple which actually was a wheat silo, a common site around the Eyre Peninsular as farming is a huge part of the economy next to the fishing community.


We chose to stay at the Tourist Park out of town and weren't disappointed because we had more nature encounters with the resident pelicans chilling out by the coastline a stone throw from where we would be parked up to sleep.


Despite being content with our supplies for the trip we thought it would be a good idea to eat out and so after asking the receptionist over the phone at the sea lion experience that we had booked we were recommended the Marina Hotel and it was a good choice as the food was delicious!

Next to the Marina hotel there was a memorial for fisherman lost at sea.


We had to wait longer than we thought for our food though as time had shifted half an hour from Melbourne, which was odd to think we had passed into new timezone so soon. After dinner we headed back to the campsite and on route picked up a connoisseur ice cream as Sarah wanted to try to convince me of its merits. I do like a good magnum but these connoisseur's have taken the lead, in particular the cookies and cream version which we described as the lovechild of a Ben and Jerrys and a Magnum. YUM!


Needing a bit of air after all that excitement we decided to walk one of the small trails out of the campsite to burn off a bit of food and maybe catch some more wildlife sightings.


Low and behold we lucked out, when almost instantly we saw dolphins! Sarah managed to pap them and even catch one of the heads bobbing out of the water!


In the bay there was also the tuna farms that you can actually swim in with the same company we were booked to do the sea lions.


Day 2 and another 265km was over and we felt pretty good with the decision to take this roadtrip. And tomorrow we were swimming with Sea Lions!

Stay tuned for more tales.


Posted by doyledan 01:43 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

(Entries 16 - 20 of 59) Previous « Page 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. » Next