A Travellerspoint blog

Wallaroo to Port Lincoln

Waking up in the van for the first time wasn't too bad even though it was quite early as we had to be at the port for 7.30am. We had planned the trip to Wallaroo the day before so that we would not have a really early start to catch the Sea Ferry across the Spencer Gulf otherwise we would have needed to get up at 5am. Getting the car ready was a sinch as we knew how to arrange it all and we were off ready to find the port for the 8am ferry.


The campsite was only 5 mins away and so we got there a little too early so we had some time to chill and take in the morning sun.


The ferry would take as across the Spencer Gulf over to Lucky Bay on the east coast of the the Eyre Peninsula. The ferry wasn't busy at all, aside from about 8 or 10 other people so we had a choice of seating and even a nice spot for a quick nap . This was a far cry from the last ferry we took in Indonesia which was full to the brim and not at all comfortable. After chilling out below deck we headed up top to take in the sea breeze and enjoy the sunshine. It was about 2 hours before we saw our destination which was a small port with barely any inhabitants.


Back on the road we started the the 2 hour trip to Port Lincoln. On our way out of Lucky Bay we immediately started to see a new landscape filled with wheat fields and the odd tree with shoes attached bizarrely. (We missed a photo opp)


On the way down to Port Lincoln we stopped at Tumby Bay to see what was on offer and find a place to have our lunch. It was a quaint little coastal town with not much going on. If not for a strong winds we would have gladly relaxed on the beach. By the coast there was charming rotunda that had in the past been built for the local brass band, today it is an art gallery and has a nice mural painted on the outside showing the life of the early settlers to this village. Sarah got in touch with her inner child on the swings.


Picking up some tourist guides we visited one of the towns attractions the Chairmans Chair, which commemorates 100 years of the district council of Tumby Bay


There was also a mangrove walk you could do but somehow we couldn't find it! Instead we decided to stop off at the scenic lookout point where there was a platform from where you could see views over the town and bay as well as see the collection of Islands named Sir Joseph Banks.




Around the bay on our side there was a collection of bird life. In the picnic area where we stopped for lunch there were many of the 'Flamin Galah's' making a racquet, and also a rather large Seagull who ruled the roost when it came to picking up crumbs!


You wouldn't mess with this guy!


Our simple lunch of noodles and tuna proved effective and with full bellies we made our way to Port Lincoln. On route we saw what looked like a greek temple which actually was a wheat silo, a common site around the Eyre Peninsular as farming is a huge part of the economy next to the fishing community.


We chose to stay at the Tourist Park out of town and weren't disappointed because we had more nature encounters with the resident pelicans chilling out by the coastline a stone throw from where we would be parked up to sleep.


Despite being content with our supplies for the trip we thought it would be a good idea to eat out and so after asking the receptionist over the phone at the sea lion experience that we had booked we were recommended the Marina Hotel and it was a good choice as the food was delicious!

Next to the Marina hotel there was a memorial for fisherman lost at sea.


We had to wait longer than we thought for our food though as time had shifted half an hour from Melbourne, which was odd to think we had passed into new timezone so soon. After dinner we headed back to the campsite and on route picked up a connoisseur ice cream as Sarah wanted to try to convince me of its merits. I do like a good magnum but these connoisseur's have taken the lead, in particular the cookies and cream version which we described as the lovechild of a Ben and Jerrys and a Magnum. YUM!


Needing a bit of air after all that excitement we decided to walk one of the small trails out of the campsite to burn off a bit of food and maybe catch some more wildlife sightings.


Low and behold we lucked out, when almost instantly we saw dolphins! Sarah managed to pap them and even catch one of the heads bobbing out of the water!


In the bay there was also the tuna farms that you can actually swim in with the same company we were booked to do the sea lions.


Day 2 and another 265km was over and we felt pretty good with the decision to take this roadtrip. And tomorrow we were swimming with Sea Lions!

Stay tuned for more tales.


Posted by doyledan 01:43 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.